Recognizing Substance Abuse and Alcoholism as a psycho-socio medical problem, the approach would be to provide whole range of service including awareness generation, identification, treatment and rehabilitation of addicts through the Voluntary Organizations. With a view to reducing the demand for the consumption of alcohol and dependence producing substances, the thrust will be on preventive education programmes and on reintegration of the addicts into the mainstream of the society. While the Govt. of India would provide financial support to the organizations for institutionalized activities, stress would be on mobilization of community resources and greater community participation.
B) Aims and Objectives:
The aims and objectives of the present scheme for Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drugs) Abuse are:
i) To create awareness and educating the people about the ill-efforts of alcoholism and substance abuse on the individual, the family and the society at large.
ii) To involve culture-specific models for the prevention of alcoholism and substance and the treatment and rehabilitation of addicts;
iii) To provide for the whole range of community based services for the identification motivation, counselling, de-addiction, after care and rehabilitation of addicts;
iv) To promote collective initiatives and self-help endeavours among individuals and groups vulnerable to addiction or found at risk;
v) To establish appropriate linkage between state interventions and voluntary efforts in the field of alcoholism and substance abuse prevention;
vi) To increase community participation and public cooperation in the reduction of demand for dependence-producing substances and;
vii) To support activities which are in consonance with the mandate of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment in this field.
To eradicate the evil of drug addiction in Haryana State, the State Govt. has notified the Rules under Narcotic Drug and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985, (Central Act, 61 of 1985). These Rules are called the Haryana De-addiction Centres Rules, 2010. Under the Rules a de-addiction centre can operate in the State of Haryana only after getting license under Rule-6.
C) In Haryana State
80 Drug-de-addiction Centres are being run by voluntary organizations and Health Department upto 30.09.2020
(Rs. in Lakh)
The Drug-de-addiction branch has formulate following work/programme given as under :-
1. State Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction.
2. Implementation Framework of National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction.
3. Organize awareness generation programme on drug de-addiction at Karnal.
4. Organize workshop on Drug de-additional at Institute of Mental Health at Rohtak.
5. State Award amounting to Rs. 3.50 lacs have been distributed under Scheme for State Awards for Outstanding Service in the Field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance abuse on International Day for the Disabled on 18th December, 2019 at Panchkula.
6. A Haryana State Society for Prevention of Substance Use have been constituted
7. Awareness & Capacity Building/Sensitization programme on Drug Abuse Prevention (National Institute of Social Defence).
8. Infrastructure requirement of Divisional Level 50 bedded Model Drug De-addiction-cum-Rehabilitation Centres.
9. Infrastructure requirement of District level 30 bedded Model Drug De-addiction-cum-Rehabilitation Centres.
10. Proposal of Model Prisons Drug De-addiction Centres (Rohtak & Hisar).
11. Community based Peer led intervention (CPI) for Early Drug Use Prevention among Adolescents and Outreach and Drop In Centres (ODIC) two Intervention programmes under National Action Plan by NISD.
12. Twenty Nine Licenses have been approved by State Licensing Authority on dated 30.09.2020.
13. Proposal for Financial Assistance to people family with HIV/AIDS on Anti Retroviral Treatment.
14. Rehabilitation Policy has already been submitted to Senior Advocate and Amicus Curiae as ordered by Hon’ble High Court.
15. 1,52,761 Migrant Workers counselled in Haryana with reference to Hon’ble Supreme Court CWP No 468 and 469 of 2020.